Saturday, April 20, 2013

Psst...



Just letting you all in on a little secret...there has been much talk of the 'H' word around the NICU and we have been given a little hope today, making us feel just as excited and anxious and in disbelief as the day we found out we had been blessed with three. I love this video. I love how shocked I look. I love how my voice instantly sounds all raspy like Michelle Duggar's after having 19 kids and counting. I love how I point to the belly that we thought had been harbouring just one baby. I love Noel's "hahaha what are we gonna doooo??". I'd been crying, so please excuse the nose picking (really I'm just coming up with excuses...nothing gives you an excuse to pick your nose on camera). This is also a bright and clear example of why I feel that it is ENTIRELY necessary to caviwipe your phone upon entrance to the NICU. Kristi...I was texting you in this video, I believe. And you didn't believe me ;) I forgive you. We barely believed ourselves.

We were blissfully naive. I was 17 weeks pregnant. On this day we had no idea what was in store for us, except that it would be multiplied by three. We had no idea that our twin pair were in trouble with TTTS. No idea that I'd be put on hospital bed rest a month and a half later for threatened pre-term labour, only to spend the next month and a half there. No idea that we'd spend New Years in Toronto for laser ablation surgery. No idea that we'd lose one of our precious sons just a week later. No idea that we would then bring our three tiny babes into the world and meet our angel at 28 weeks on January 22nd, 2013 - and not even due to pre-term labour but rather what seemed to be poor growth in one babe. No idea that we'd be spending over 3 months in the NICU. No idea just how it would be possible for your heart to break into a million pieces and grow at the exact same time. No idea how much strength it would take to stride forward. No idea how much love and admiration we would hold for the resiliency of human life. No idea just how lucky and blessed we would be to have gone through all of this and survive to grow even stronger. Did I leave anything out? Probably. I have a feeling this is going to be a whirlwind of a week, and it's only just begun. I can't wait :)

No comments: