May 6-12, 2013 is Nurses week, and let me tell ya - I've got an earful for you ladies.
To the nurses in radiology, who took my blood pressure, asked how I was feeling, and always told me how good I looked and couldn't believe my small body was carrying triplets. To the nurses in triage who admitted me the day I was told I was in preterm labour, for trying to make light of a terrifying situation and being gentle to my emotional state. To the nurses who cared for me and our boys on the antepartum unit. Who spent endless hours upon hours in my room with me doing NST's and vital checks, all the while getting to know me and letting me get to know you. Who brought me cold water, and always asked if there was something they could do. Who would visit in the morning just to share a smile and say hello, who noticed that I was trying so hard to keep a happy face and stay positive. The nurses who wheeled me back and forth from my constant ultrasounds. The nurses in Toronto who we bonded instantly with over IV's and surgery. The nurse who called my husband and told him to come straight away as one of our sons had passed and I was alone. To my day nurse who ran from the unit that morning to the ultrasound room, who let me cry on her shoulder and hugged me until Noel got there. The nurse who wheeled me back, hugged me and held my hand as she told me how deeply, deeply sorry she was. Who shed her own tears to join mine. To the many nurses who shed their own tears to join mine. To the nurses who gave hugs freely, who said that they were sorry for my loss, acknowledged that I had lost a baby, and that it was so necessary to grieve despite a continuing pregnancy with two more surviving babies. To the nurse who knitted us two beautiful pairs of baby booties, and later gently asked if I wanted a third pair for Jude. To the nurses on the labour and delivery unit who connected with me on the day of my c-section. Who knew I was scared, who felt my joy and my pain. To all the nurses who joined me in the operating room whether part of their job or for moral support, who made it feel very routine and made me feel calm and comfortable, like it was any normal day in the hospital. Who kept me smiling and laughing and made me feel like everything would be ok. To the nurse who so very gently cared for our baby Jude, massaged him with oil and tenderly wrapped him in a blanket. Who told me that he was beautiful and that I should see him. Who took wonderful pictures of him, pictures that I will cherish for the rest of my life. To the nurse who refused to let me drink water following my c-section, but gave me a piece of juicy fruit gum that very well saved my life (I now chew juicy fruit on a regular basis). To the postpartum nurse who didn't abandon me post-surgery. Who saw me as an individual with my own needs and circumstances, and that I was in excruciating pain and too sick to sit up even a day after my c-section, and made it her mission to ensure that I was given the proper medication to get me back on my feet so that I could meet my babies. Who was nurturing, and encouraging and gave me goals to work towards in my recovery.
To our NICU nurses....there are no words. There are no words to describe the love we hold for you, for caring for our boys. For fighting for them, being proactive, ensuring their safety, speaking up and advocating for them. For loving them, holding them, snuggling them, reading and singing to them. For speaking to them, encouraging them, telling them you love them. For cuddling them even if they weren't on your shift. For being as gentle as you could throughout their procedures. For being with them in transport when switching hospitals. For helping us to feel comfortable holding them when they were oh, so small. For telling us that we were doing everything we could do to be amazing parents to them. For admiring my milk supply, and encouraging me, and telling me to keep it up. For making our NICU stay seem totally normal and not scary at all. To their primary nurses, for doing all of the above and beyond. To their Children's Hospital nurses, though I didn't meet most of you, I know that behind the scenes you are as caring and loving to all of your patients. To the nurse who was with Nash immediately following his recovery, thank you for referring to him as a triplet. That means a lot to their mama.
To our Neonatal Transition Nurses, for even providing this amazing program. For making visits in the comfort of our own home, and for your ongoing care and assessment of our boys over the months to come. To the many nurses we will meet over the course of their childhood, whether through appointments with their pediatrician, vaccinations, hearing and vision appointments, kidney follow-up, surgery follow-up, or perinatal follow-up, I know that we are in good hands because of all that you've done for us already.
I don't know where we would be without each and every single one of you. From the deepest pool in our hearts, THANK YOU!!
No comments:
Post a Comment